Monday, January 16, 2012

Retroaster

This is from when N was about four-and-a-half:



I feel confident that it is portrait of the whole family.  We actually do look like that, frighteningly similar, especially in our faces.  Even our then cat, Scout, looks the same, just add whiskers. And, yes, we do have a garden of Happy Flowers in our backyard.

I am afraid to admit my limited knowledge of the iconography used by four-year-olds, I can only say that those are indeed angels above us and there is a traced hand in yellow up towards the top, either a symbol of God's omnipresence in our lives or he had just learned to trace his hand.

I remember one time finding some drawings of mine in a box from when I was a kid , the paper yellowed and dogeared and the crayon fading, and feeling sort of sad at the realization of temporariness of this sort of thing.  I, of course, have saved a lot of the boys' stuff and am glad for that, but, I fear it won't last.  I am very glad that we took photos of quite a bit of  it.  It is nice to watch how they have grown in style, watch as arms get added to the stick dudes, then hands, and now those creepy noses and more expressive mouths.  Watch as the once blank skies fill with suns and moons, airplanes and clouds, and even an occasional blimp.  Watch houses become more three-dimensional with more logical placement of windows and doors.  Watch as the flowers loose their smiles and the trees gain their branches.

So, in the saving of all this crap, perhaps I will give them great memories as they get older; perhaps some of it will be seen by prospective girlfriends and close friends, much to their embarrassment; perhaps, when they are someday famous in whatever fields they may choose, there will be drawings and the like from their childhood to be used in their biographies...  oh hell, I don't really care, I just know I've got a lot of blog fodder.

From Marci's '...things you don't expect to hear from the backseat...'

"How do you spell WANT? ...I think there is a silent K."


Ahh, the elusive 'silent K'...

No comments:

Post a Comment