Saturday, January 28, 2012

"It Goes the Other Way, Daddy"

I been rotating this thing for the better part of an hour here, and I'll be damned if I know which way it's gonna land.  (You'll see what I mean her in a sec.)  Here are my favorite two:

The first one is a pair of top-of-the-line blacksmith's coveralls, straight out of the Monkey Ward's catalog of nineteen-hundred-and-twelve.  You can see that it has two handy attached buckets, shoulder protection, the optional brush there on the left, and that snazzy firebrand belt buckle. The image is lovingly rendered on a vellum-like parchment. 






Whoa, I know.  Just like that it's the Tazmanian Devil in high-heels carrying not one, but two, purses, one with the optional brush, and he has a paper bag over his head.  Obviously sketched on the scene.

I can't emphasize enough the necessity of going through your children's schoolwork together with them.  For all the right reasons mind you; like knowing what the math assignments have been lately, catching up on the latest Weekly Reader, seeing their reading levels soar and showing them your are vested in their lives and cherish everything they do, oh... and there's some really funny stuff there, too.

I found this tucked in N's folder.  He made it during the dreaded "Inside Recess."

Me:  "Well this is pretty cool here.  What is it?"

N:  "It goes the other way, Daddy.  Jeesh."

"Oh, sorry Little Dude."  What exactly is the other way? I flip it uncertainly.  "What is it?"  I ask again.

"Idunno..."

And yet he knew it needed to go the other way.

So, I keep rotating it and trying to find which way it goes.  Parenting is like that, there must be a right way but we have to spend a lot of time flipping around the picture to get there.

From Marci's '...things you don't expect to hear from the backseat...'

Nick (wistfully):  "I love sausages."

That's my boy, that's my boy...

No comments:

Post a Comment