Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Lies of Omission

"Dad, Dad, Dad, Daddy... Dad?!"
 "Yes, son."
 "Does this look like the Statue of Liberty?"


"My,"  as you know this is my way of buying time, "Well, yes Zack, it does look like the Statue of Liberty."

Well, it does have that greenish coppery patina, there is a door, and a torch.  It is either the Statue of Liberty or the crossing guard at my first elementary school, a shell-shocked WWII vet who always smiled creepily.  But Z has never seen him so, it must be the Statue of Liberty.

I could not begin to list the ways this does not look like Lady Liberty.  Just as I could never explain how wrong some of their knock-knock jokes are, or how not the melody and words of  'The Twelve Days of Christmas' that was, or how so few snowflakes look like huge cubes.  Or how unfrightening  that look to throw off the pitcher is, particularly with that ridiculously large batting helmet perched on your head.  Or how bad that Frisbee throw was, or how that looks more like rabbit stew than the Easter Bunny.  Or how cute you look when you are mad, or how I never want you to grow up.

I'll just leave all that out for now.  I do it all the time.


From Marci's '...things you don't expect to hear from the backseat...'

"Do we have a pretend submarine?"


We do now...

No comments:

Post a Comment