Friday, March 22, 2013

Soothies


I have been sick the past couple of days, a stomach bug, imagine that.  I'm feeling a little better today but I am feeling weak from not having eaten anything for a couple of days.  When I am weak like that, I sometimes feel sad.  When I feel sad I  think too much...

I opened a drawer the other day to get something for my wife, as I rifled through it I found this:



It's the boys' old soothies, binkies, pacis, whatever, we called them soothies, and, for a while they were of the utmost importance.  I remember time after time searching the beds and floors for them, frustrated and irritated at having lost them once again.

Our boys were good about them, after their infancy they only used them at bedtime.  They never went out in the car with them, or to the store or any of that.

I still don't want to throw them away.  Am I the only one like that?  I'd be embarrassed to admit the number of things I have saved of theirs because I didn't have the strength to just throw them in the trash:  wooden cut out giraffes, well worn and chewed up wooden screwdrivers, a couple of Old Navy sweatshirt onesies, a cape or two, a giant whiffleball bat, first soccer jersey and baseball unis, lots of other stuff.  Things that seemed so important that they won't even remember.



I didn't throw them away...


From Marci's "...things you don't expect to hear from the backseat..."

Boys: "He started it!" "No, HE started it!" "NO! HE started it!"

Mom: "I don't care who started it, who is going to be man enough to STOP it?"


Boys: "I stopped it!" "No, I stopped it!" "NO! I stopped it"


*fail*



I never know what to think around here...

2 comments:

  1. A couple mementos are cool. But don't become a hoarder, dude! Wouldn't it be great to be one of those crafty people who turn old crap into cool shit?

    Hilarious backseat conversation, by they way. I'm glad I have a girl and a boy, separated by years. More power to ya with twin boys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a family tradition. I still have a few things but each time we moved a got rid of some. It is wonderful to go back and look at them. I am thinking of going through the trunks with Clara next week, if she is interested.

    ReplyDelete