Thursday, January 3, 2013

iFauxns


Yep, we did it.  We got the boys new phones for Christmas.  In fact, we are so cool we let them design their own phones from scratch.

So, when they came to creating their new phones they ended up with slightly different products.  Here is the front of Nick's:


It's got all the standard keys.  A big OK button.  I am not sure what a "sift" key is.  I can only hope that it goes through all the stuff that's important, finds none, and shuts the whole thing down.  That's just a guess.

Let's flip it over:


I can't say if that is a very slick, personalized, falling-water-themed skin, or, if it's another screen.  Either is pretty cool.


This is the front of Zack's:


Sort of an unorthodox approach to number sequence, but, hey, I'm old-school.

He's got what I can only assume are hotkeys on the sides:


I am pretty sure I want a "specker" key, it makes people explode when they are being dicky...  nevermind, I made that up.

Here's the one he'll wear out:
 

Games, just games.


You might remember from the posts Com(paper)puters and The Paper Arts that they are not strangers to the challenges of cutting-edge twenty-first century design:


The Paper Arts
Com(paper)puters


















I see some kids my boys' age with cell phones.  You know what?  When I was a kid all adults smoked, but, even then the grownups had the sense not to give a second or third grader a lit cigarette.  We had to make do with candy cigarettes that blew little puffs of powdered sugar, and Pixie sticks.  I think for now I'll just let my kids pretend a little while longer.  I don't want to hand them a lit cigarette.


From Marci's  '... things you don't expect to hear from the backseat ...'

Z: "Why would you want to see a movie called Less Marbles?"
M: "It is pronounced Les Miserables."
Z: "Oh ... so then what is it about?"
M: "Um, well, people fighting in France."
B: "And they sing."
N: "They sing?"
M&B: "Yes, they sing."
*pause*
Z: "Marbles would be better."


Singing marbles would hold my interest longer than that musical ever did...



12 comments:

  1. I love the creativity of a kid. You give them an art project like this and it just thrills them to no end. Your kids have great imaginations...keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Zach. What's amazing is that it is always their idea. I never once suggested they make pretend phones or laptops, it just seems like it needed to be done. I never stop marveling at the journey they are on and feel so honored to watch it

      Delete
  2. This is the kind of stuff I wish I could think of/enjoy. Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you kidding!? Your site is fantastic. Glad you took a look.

      Delete
  3. These are very cool. My oldest is 12 and in middle school. He just got a cellphone for his birthday.

    I was reluctant to do it, but it was time for us.

    But I made sure it wasn't anything fancy. It is a basic phone where you pay as you go.

    I would have hated having that sort of electronic leash when I was a kid, but it is a different world now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate having that sort of electronic leash as an adult. Kudos for waiting until he was twelve. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  4. These creative phones made me smile. It's true how kids can just conjure up ideas and run with them. Having children has allowed me to rediscover wonder. Can't thank them enough for the privilege.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to hear from you Vincent. It's funny I have been on CuteMonsterDad.com many times, I never expected to see you around here. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  5. This is absolute greatness. And I've been feeling a bit hemmed in by the traditional numbering pattern myself, but couldn't quite put my finger on it until now. Your kid has set me free.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are considering eliminating the number five as well, too much like a two from what I could understand... I love the posts on thoughtfulpop as well, very honest and heartfelt. Stop by again.

      Delete
  6. Enjoyed this, Bill. Totally with you on the ambivalence towards phones. I was watching my wife send a text on our one family cell phone, and I was like, "whoa, woman! Where'd you learn how to text like that?! With your thumbs and everything!" It takes me like 5 minutes to even type "hi," and then the phone changes it to say "hell." So I give up. I haven't even tried to text anything in about a year and a half.

    Pretty sure my daughter already knows how though...it seems someone teaches it to them in the womb. The day she asks me for her own phone, I might just have to go all Mosquito Coast on everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you, Neal. I honest-to-God do not understand twitter, tweats, texting and the like. Great to hear from you, you know I am a fan of your blog. Hey everyone: READ NEAL'S BLOG! His name will link you there.

      Delete