Tuesday, November 20, 2012

"vinila and choklit"


Well, there are four now.  Four abandoned attempts at posts left, as orphans, on my list of posts here on my corner of Blogspot.com.  Four posts marked, perhaps forever, as 'drafts.'

For the last few days I have been working on a nice, scope-sweeping, heartfelt piece that was going to segue into a cute Thanksgiving thing and then that was supposed to build up to my one year blogiversary post on Friday.  Well, that ain't gonna happen.  Sometimes, when you put words in a row as I do, they just don't seem to want to line up right, pushing and shoving each other until they're basically just a confused, chaotic mob.

There is a prayer by some holy guy, St. Francis of Something or Another or Aquinus, that's not what's important, that begins 'Lord make me a channel of your peace...'  That's how this should go; I get something, then show it to you.  If it gets too hard or seems too unmanageable it probably isn't meant to be.

So, in lieu of something that is clever and heartfelt and, well, showoffy, I give you this:



 "one time after school my Dad went to U.D.f. with me and Nick to get a milk shakes  I had vinila and nick got choklit"

The boys seem to be sitting politely drinking their shakes from their groovy ergonomically designed spill-proof cups.  I, on the other hand, am inside clearly distracted by the gumballs in the gumball machine.  The clerk is shouting at me (I think I forgot to pay) and the little short dude there seems to want some snacks.

I am not at all sure what this has to do with "Making Connections" nor do I know why Z chose to use the old-timey term "soda shop" (shouldn't that be 'shoppe'?) nor do I understand why the sun is setting inside.  However, we are all wearing our ball caps.

The boys look happy enough though, don't they?


From Marci's '...things you don't expect to hear form the backseat...'

"You don't know everything.  Only God knows everything.  He has a VERY BIG brain." 


At times, I think I have a very small brain...


Here's the prayer as I first encountered it:

Lord, make me a channel of thy peace;
that where there is hatred, I may bring love;
that where there is wrong, I may bring the spirit of forgiveness;
that where there is discord, I may bring harmony;
that where there is error, I may bring truth;
that where there is doubt, I may bring faith;
that where there is despair, I may bring hope;
that where there are shadows, I may bring light;
that where there is sadness, I may bring joy.
Lord, grant that I may seek rather to comfort than to be comforted;
to understand, than to be understood;
to love, than to be loved.
For it is by self-forgetting that one finds.
It is by forgiving that one is forgiven.
It is by dying that one awakens to eternal life.
Amen.
(Found in Chapter 11 (Page 99) of the "Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions", a book published by Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, Inc.)



1 comment:

  1. Lovely. Your family will treasure these glimpses of fatherhood and childhood.

    ReplyDelete