Monday, April 9, 2012

Ironical

I found this as I was dumping out the trash from a closet purge Saturday:


Some quick twists of my patented parent-to-kid decoder ring yields:  "When I get older I will be able to read."

I really don't know which way to go on this.  The obvious response, and the reason I snagged it out of the trash, is that it is very funny.  I mean, well, if you couldn't read you really couldn't write this now could you?

My second response is, why does it have a piece of tape on it?  Is this is a reminder?  As though N taped it up on his mirror as a motivational, positive thought.  People like me and someday I will be able to read.  Wait, I can, I can, I can read!  It worked!

Finally, I can't help but think about one other thing.  Another thing I've forgotten, something I just don't seem to be as capable of anymore,  looking forward with hopeful anticipation.  I forget to dream.  I so often look forward afraid and uncomfortable.  I know I wasn't always like this but today... not so much.

As always, my boys remind me how to live a better life, dream a better dream, secure a happier tomorrow.

So, tonight's baseball scrimmage will be great.  Friday's party will be fine.  Camping this summer will be memorable.  School placement next year will be perfect.

When I get older, I will be able to...

What will you be able to do?

From Marci's '...things you don't expect to hear from the backseat...'

N (as a blizzard of maple tree helicopters falls down on him):  "Oh, Daddy, it's so... perfect."

Perfect use of the word perfect...

No comments:

Post a Comment